Saturday, February 21, 2009

Breakfast with "The Guys"

I just got back from a regional pastors' breakfast at the church and it was fun. (Yes, I said fun!) We had 13 in attendance, and I met some guys I did not know before...which is always a cool thing. David Nitz, North FL Evangelism Dir., attended and shared some neat leadership stuff. It was a good morning!

This was the first regional breakfast for us since FL went to regions, instead of districts for its churches. We plan to do one of these each quarter, including spouses next time and thereafter for connection and fellowship. I think the regional church program is going to be a good thing for our state. It has given us an opportunity to re-energize ministry connection and resourcing at a more local level because, like it or not, the district structure was broken. So, now we get a chance to begin again, and that is a good thing.

My takeaway from today is that it is almost always encouraging to sit, eat, and share with fellow pastors. It never ceases to amaze me just how much is being done for The Kingdom through one another's lives. Regardless of church size, we all have similar experiences, and we all need to feel the love and support of others who share in the journey of pastoral ministry. I, for one, always benefit and am uplifted when I spend time with my brothers. Consequently, I try to make time for these opportunities when they come up. We all should...life on this side is too short, and the load it too heavy to carry alone. Put simply, we need more time with "The Guys" around us.

The future of our movement is dependent, in part, on our connecting to one another. I believe it is a key element in sharing life, upholding one another's hands in the fight, and resourcing the ministry to be relevant in this quickly moving culture. Connection is critical...but it doesn't just happen: we must make the effort, take the time, and initiate contact with one another. If we don't, life is just too busy and...well, we know the rest.
- Clayton Watson

What are your thoughts/comments on the importance and future of connection in our movement?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Clayton and all,

    We also enjoyed a great regional Pastor’s meeting this weekend. Along with the very valuable connection time, we launched our training sessions with Gil Stigletz’s material provided by the State Office. The leaders present really seemed to enjoy what Gil had to say on the topic of Leadership Development. Inspiring and challenging.

    I think these face-to-face times for local pastors are crucial for our future health as leaders and as a movement. I hate it that so many guys are so busy that they find it difficult to connect with other leaders. Lots of pastors work outside of the church so their time is dominated. I also dislike the idea that some guys are giving up family time to attend another meeting. But all of this being said, note this: isolation is deadly. Most of the pastors that I know who are really struggling are not linking up with colleagues.

    Make time to reach out. Don’t fall into the trap of “I don’t need anyone else.” We do need each other. These Regional meetings, our Covenant Groups, and the less structured cup of Starbuck’s with a buddy may be the lifeline we all need to remain connected and effective.

    Rick Whitter

    ReplyDelete